Saturday, July 30, 2011

Color Coded Scale Lumber

Some model railroad structure kits come with color coded scale lumber. The ends of all the HO 2"x6"s are dipped in blue paint, all the HO 2"x8"s glow hot pink, and so on. On the one hand, this makes sorting the lumber quite easy and that is a nice thing especially when the kit requires several different sizes. However, as a consumer of kits, I'd have preferred to have that extra 1/32" to 1/16" of lumber color free. I like to stain my scale strip-wood before assembling the kit and, being frugal, I keep all the scrap ends to use as part of the scenery: randomly piled boards; bits of fencing; and general junk under the loading docks and porches of my miniature world.

Because this is my preference as a consumer, I've chosen not to color code the scale lumber in the Z-scale, N-scale, and HO scale model railroad structure kits that I design and manufacture. This is one of the many little decisions that go into designing and producing scale structure kits.

I'd be curious to know what y'all think about that choice. Do you have strong feelings one way or the other?

2 comments:

  1. I believe stripwood without neon ends is a good thing. It would certainly avoid having to always keep up with the painted end when building a model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, thanks for taking time to stop b y and share your opinion. Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete